The Washington County Department of Business Development announces nominations by the public are now being accepted for the 2022-2023 Washington County Farm of the Year.
Designed to recognize and honor the rich agricultural heritage embedded in Washington County, the Farm of the Year Award application is open to all farms located primarily in the County on five or more acres of land. Applications must be submitted by September 23.
To qualify, entrants must:
• Operate a farm or agricultural business or know a farm or agricultural business primarily located in Washington County.
• Include the principal farm operator/owner that has been in business for a minimum of five years. Farm must be on at least five acres of agriculturally zoned land.
• Complete and submit an application by September 23.
• Be available for judging September 26-30.
• Attend an awards ceremony in October to be recognized by the Washington County Board of County Commissioners. Date to be determined.
Judging will occur September 26-30. Criteria categories total 350 points and include:
50 points each for conservation, community involvement and dedication to agriculture; 25 points each for proficiency in agriculture production, farm visit, planning for the next generation, innovation, application submission and judges discretion points.
The Washington County Department of Business Development will recognize one outstanding farm and farm family that exemplifies
the heritage of farming in Washington County in October.
This award, in part, show-cases excellence in agriculture and promotes a greater understanding of the challenges faced by today’ s farmers. For more information, go to https://www.washco-md.net/business-development/agriculture/.
For additional information, contact Agricultural Business Specialist Leslie Hart, at 301-573-7039 or [email protected].