News, Police

Ohio man arrested in Frederick County after pursuit

by Geoff Fox

A call from the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office on Saturday, August 12, led to Maryland State Police arresting an Ohio man with an outstanding warrant in Frederick County after he fled a traffic stop and crashing into a State Police cruiser.

The accused is identified as Jose Aguilera Cespedes, 25, of Ohio, and is charged with first and second degree assault, as well as traffic violations relating to the vehicle pursuit.

Further charges are pending the outcome of the investigation and consultation with the Frederick County State’s Attorney’s Office, State Police said in a release.

Cespedes was transported to the Frederick County Detention Center where he

is waiting to be seen by a district court commissioner.

According to police, shortly before 4 p.m. on August 12, the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office contacted the Maryland State Police Hagerstown Barrack in response to a black Honda Accord on Interstate 70.

Troopers were advised the driver had an outstanding arrest warrant for a homicide and felony assault in Ohio.

Troopers from the Hagerstown Barrack located the Accord traveling eastbound on I-70 at the 35-mile marker in Washington County.

State Police said troopers activated their emergency equipment and attempted to make a traffic stop on the suspect vehicle.

The driver, later identified as Cespedes, struck a Hagerstown marked patrol vehicle on the driver’s side and continued to flee police.

The pursuit continued for about three miles before the suspect vehicle was forced to stop due to heavy traffic. Troopers were then able to arrest Cespedes on the scene without incident.

No injuries to Cespedes or other police personnel were reported at the scene.

Troopers from both the Hagerstown and Frederick barracks responded to the scene and were assisted by deputies from the Washington County Sheriff’s Office and personnel from the Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration.

Eastbound I-70 was closed briefly in the area for the investigation. All lanes were later reopened.